Saturday, January 31, 2009

January Redux


Oops, it's been awhile (I keep saying that, don't I?). But never fear, dear reader(s?), this post will be a doozy! Hope you enjoy:


January:
No-Spend Days: 25/25
No Eating Out Days: 28/27
Extra Income: $0
Money Saved: $300 (not including short-term savings)
Debt Paid Off: $439.81
Retirement Savings: $286.20
Other Money Spent: $388.09
Workout Days: 7
Books Finished: 3
Times Flossed: 2 (hey, at least I’m honest!)
Letters/Cards/Contacts: 4 (although one just got bounced back in the mail, so I'll have to check on that!)

Progress on 2009 Goals:

  • continuing to reduce my Bank of Mom debt (turtling for now to rebuild savings/EF)
  • have kept my amazon.com card paid off each month
  • got my credit union savings/checking account balances above $750 in each account to take advantage of the special rate - goal MET!
  • new goal added: saved $100 and started "Checking ++" account at my hometown bank – goal MET!
  • met all of the monthly requirements for the Checking ++ account to earn 5.00% APYmonthly goal MET!
  • working on saving up $1,000 to start a Roth at Vanguard and roll my current Roth money out of my semi-shady broker’s account to save money on fees
  • contributed at least a little toward my SIMPLE IRA (w/matching)
  • put some money toward a "gifts" fund, and did not spend anything on gifts or vacations yet
  • technically, I *have* gotten my Little Emergency Fund/STS up to $1000 (which includes the credit union money, which is at a total of $1500). I may have to dip into that somewhat, but I think I should be able to keep it above $1000 so I am going to consider this goal MET!
  • continuing to post on the No-/Controlled-Spend thread, and got 25 No-Spends and 28 No Eating Out days for January – monthly goal MET!
  • worked out 7 days in January… that might not seem like a lot, but it is up from zero ;) This will be harder to do in February with my late work schedule, but I’m going to work on it.
  • have done pretty well staying positive and energetic at work, and had a pretty good month!
  • have learned a lot about investing this month, and have my plan in place… now I just need to save up the money!
  • contacted companies and compared investments for my Roth – goal MET!
  • have continued to do more online surveys, and will probably get at least one check next month
  • could not do my tax return yet, as I am still waiting on one highly aggravating document to arrive! But I did start it, and it will be easy to complete once I have that form. Then I’m going to save it!
  • have done better being patient with people – I think :)
  • talked to my grandma on the phone twice and sent thank you cards

So I think that’s a pretty great start! I definitely have the Roth goals in my sights for the immediate future, as well as getting that tax return and saving it. I am going to try and have the resolve to save the whole thing – I think the most time-sensitive goal is getting money into that 2008 Roth before April… but paying the Bank of Mom, starting an ING (or Sterling Savings!) account for a bonus, or putting more into the Checking ++ account would all be great too!

I am really feeling excited and upbeat about 2009 so far. I think having written goals is having a big impact, and I am working HARD at saving! Now I can’t wait to see what February brings… wish me luck!

No comments: