Sunday, September 16, 2007

Weekend off

I took this weekend off.

Since I had worked 5 out of the last 6 Fridays at school, and since I *technically* was not required to attend the boring Friday progress report training, I did not in any way, shape, or form go in to work on Friday. I could have (you always could find things to work on), but I didn't. I slept in, I watched some stupid television, and I went to meet LaRue at her classroom. I hung out with her while she worked hard and graded a bunch of quizzes. I worked a little on my procert, but not much, for reasons I'll get into shortly. But one thing I did notice for sure was that I did not miss the classroom, and was in fact extremely intimidated by it. The idea of having that many kids at once still feels so much like .... work. And the idea of having a classroom full of kids who a) don't speak English, b) don't remember anything they've ever been taught, and c) could kick my ass....well, let's just say I don't know how LaRue even faces the prospect. To me, it is akin to climbing Mount Everest. I assume it is impossible, and I have no desire to attempt it. Kudos to those few, those proud who can.

In procert news, I managed to talk to someone at the University who is not full of crap. (Can you believe it, such a creature actually does exist!). This woman, whom I will call Hera as she is the goddess of my procert journey thus far, told me *not* to take the "refining seminar" as it would be a complete waste of my time. Instead, I should just focus on my professional development activities and not do more "re-examining the 12 criteria" and longing to throw myself in front of a bus. Not only did she save me from that torture, but she also volunteered to meet with me next Friday, on her day off, to go over my professional growth plan and "amend" it to make it more realistic. She is even going to give me concrete, measurable requirements for what my portfolio will need to look like, so that I don't end up doing 12x more work than necessary. There will also be sample portfolios involved.

Now, if I were a cynic, I would shout to the heavens that this is what the original intro seminar should have been about in the first place. Instead, I will just be thankful and elated that this woman has come into my professional life and saved me from several more months of useless bullcrap. Ah, life is good!

Better go, gotta fit in some more non-working before the new schoolweek arrives.. ;)

No comments: